Quilted purses are handbags that are made out of brightly colored cotton quilting fabrics. The bags are made in all sorts of styles, shapes, and colors by a number of different handbag designers. It is possible to find just about any purse style made out of quilted fabric - from small clutches to large totes and hobos. Cost can run anywhere from under $20 to over $100, depending on the style, size, and designer of the handbag.
Vera Bradley is probably the most well-known of quilted handbag designers. Customer loyalty comes from the use of quality materials and careful construction as well as the availability of a broad range of styles and fabrics.
The collection consists of all types of handbags and accessories made from attractive quilted cotton fabrics. For customers looking for a sturdier fabric, Vera Bradley also has a quilted microfiber fabric collection that holds up well to the wear and tear of daily living.
Vera Bradley bags are available online, at QVC, and in retail stores. The Vera Bradley website has a retail store locator that is searchable by ZIP code. You can get an overview of Vera Bradley bag reviews on department store websites that carry the brand, such as Macy's, Dillard's, eBags.com (almost all four-to-five-star reviews), and Amazon (where Vera Bradley bags get near-perfect scores).
- The Glenna Satchel is available for around $80.00 and comes in three different patterns at Macy's: Cobalt Tile, Nomadic Floral, and Paisley in Paradise. This style has a roomy, brightly colored interior and four interior pockets (three zipped). Shipping from Macy's for this bag is around $10.00 and most orders arrive within three to six business days from ordering. If you need to return, you can either print a return label and ship it yourself, schedule a return pickup through the site, or bring your invoice or order confirmation email with your purchase to your nearest Macy's store.
- The Mini Hipster has the color and pattern diversity that Vera Bradley fans have come to expect and love and is available for less than $40.00. There are actually nine different patterns available at Zappos. This style comes with an adjustable crossbody strap, back slip pocket, and an exterior zipper pocket. Zappos has free standard shipping and return shipping, and VIP customers can get their orders in just one business day. For non-VIP standard shipping times, Zappos offers a chart to give you an idea of how long it could take. You have 365 days to return an item.
Simply Bags has a number of quilted bags that can be personalized with a machine embroidered name or monogram. The bags come in a variety of styles and fabrics and pricing is affordable (usually less than $40.00). Bags can be ordered through the company's website. Shipping costs start at $6.99 and will usually take one to five days for your order to arrive if you live in the United States (eastern states receive their orders more quickly). Returns are allowed unless it's a monogrammed item, but you will only have about 10 days from the date you receive your order. You'll find the most reviews on their site and Reviews.com.uk (4.67 of 5.0 stars), but there are a few individual bloggers who have reviewed Simply Bags, like Sew Woodsy and Mandy's Secrets. A few examples of their quilted bags include:
- The Monogram Damask Print Travel Tote (just over $30.00) is a combination of turquoise, pink, and white, plus navy blue trim. It includes a detachable bow.
- The Shoulder Tote Bag with Monogram (just over $25.00) is a paisley pink and chocolate option with a zipper closure.
- The Quilted Floral Cotton Tote (around $30.00) is a brightly colored option that features orange, yellow, brown, and blue. It features a removable bow, outside zip pocket, inside zip pocket, and blue lining.
If you're in the market for something a little quirky, Henrietta's Handbags may have just what you're looking for. The prices are reasonable too. Choose from patterns featuring cats, birds, horses, and more. Shipping costs can be calculated on the site based on your zip code, and orders are sent via USPS. It usually takes two to three days for customers in the United States to receive their packages, while international delivery times will vary. You'll have seven days from the time you receive your handbag to decide whether you'd like to keep it, however items must be unused.
- The Cat Portraits Quilted Crossbody Bag (less than $20.00) is a vibrant bag with plenty of red and purple, among other colors. It's fully lined and has a zip closure, plus another zippered pocket.
- The Quilted Paisley Medium Zippered Backpack (under $25.00) will keep your hands and arms free while you're out and about. Wear it as a backpack or a sling. It combines a large paisley print with a red and black bow and has plenty of pockets to keep your belongings organized. The top closes with a zipper, plus there's an external pocket with a zipper closure. In addition, the style has open side pockets, an open pocket inside for a cell phone, and one more internal zipper pocket.
- The Quilted Jellybean Handbag (around $20.00) features a whimsical, colorful print with two handles. Inside, you'll find six pockets. The outside has one extra pocket, so there's plenty of space to keep items organized and easily accessible.
You can find quilted handbags, accessories, tote bags, specialty bags, and more when you shop Stephanie Dawn. The bags are more expensive than some options, but less expensive overall (but sometimes similar in price) than the average Vera Bradley. There is a store locator on the website if you'd like to shop in person, but you can also shop online. The products are made in and shipped from Ohio, and packages typically take one to seven business days (depending on where you live) via Fedex. Reviews are scarce, but the few listed on Amazon are almost perfect.
- The Cargo Crossbody Bag runs about $80.00 and comes with a wide variety of patterns and color schemes. It features four slip-in pockets, a zippered closure at the top, and three external pockets.
- The Shoulder Bag, just under $60.00, also has a surprising number of patterns and colors to choose from. You get four interior pockets, three exterior pockets, and a zip closure. The strap is also adjustable.
- The Tag-A-Long Small Purse (about $40.00) comes in several patterns and a few solid shades. It's perfect for those situations where you only need a few essential items but can't keep them in your pockets. It has five pockets (two inside and three outside) and an adjustable strap.
Making Your Own
If you are a quilter or a crafter, then you also have the option to make your own purse. You just need quilted fabric, a sewing machine, lining fabric, thread, and a few other tools and embellishments to make a truly custom handbag for yourself or a friend. Once you've cut the fabric, the basic idea behind creating the bag is to sew the sides and bottom with the lining on the outside, then flip it right side out. Add straps and anything else you'd like, and you're done!
Plenty of Choices
There are a number of options for quilted purses from duffle bags to small clutch designs. No matter what your price range or style choice, it's easy to find the perfect colorful (or more muted) quilted handbag.