Quilted purses are handbags that are made out of brightly colored cotton quilting fabrics. The bags are made in all sorts of styles, shapes, and colors by a number of different handbag designers. It is possible to find just about any purse style made out of quilted fabric - from small clutch purses to large totes and hobos. Cost can run anywhere from under $20 to over $100, depending on the style, size, and designer of the handbag.
Vera Bradley Quilted Bags
Vera Bradley is probably the most well-known of quilted handbag designers. Customer loyalty comes from the use of quality materials and careful construction as well as the availability of a broad range of styles and fabrics. The collection consists of all types of handbags and accessories made from attractive quilted cotton fabrics. For customers looking for a sturdier fabric, Vera Bradley also has a quilted microfiber fabric collection that holds up well to the wear and tear of daily living.
What Customers Are Saying
You can get an overview of Vera Bradley bag reviews on department store websites that carry the brand, such as Macy's and Dillard's. Reviewers at eBags.com found the Vera Bradley bags to be both stylish and durable, and they received almost all four-to-five star reviews. Amazon reviewers said the bags were roomy and that they loved the material, and the bags get near-perfect scores from most customers.
Options to Consider
- The Vera Bradley Preppy Poly Molly Cross-Body Bag is a bit more dressed up than the traditional, colorful, cloth Vera Bradley bags. This one comes in black or blue, runs about $90, and is available online at Dillard's. Shipping costs start at $8.50 and tend to leave the warehouse within two days of an order being placed. U.S. customers can expect their packages to arrive in one to seven days, with Arkansas and parts of the surrounding states being the quickest to receive them. If a return is necessary, you have 30 days on items that aren't personalized. Some items that are purchased on clearance or otherwise may be marked as non-returnable.
- The Iconic Glenna Small Shoulder Bag is available for around $90 and comes in eight different patterns at Macy's: Deep Night Paisley/Silver, Holland Garden/Silver, Indiana Rose/Silver, Regal Rosette/Silver, Foxwood/Silver, Gramercy Paisley, Garden Grove, and Cloud Vine/Silver. This style has drawstrings that cinch the sides of the spacious bag, giving it a carefree feel. Shipping from Macy's for this bag is around $10 and most orders arrive within three to six business days from ordering. If you need to return, you can either print a return label and ship it yourself, schedule a return pickup through the site, or bring your invoice or order confirmation email with your purchase to your nearest Macy's store.
- The Mini Hipster has the color and pattern diversity that Vera Bradley fans have come to expect and love and is available for less than $40. There are actually nine different patterns available at Zappos. This style comes with an adjustable crossbody strap, back slip pocket, and an exterior zipper pocket. Zappos has free standard shipping and return shipping, and VIP customers can get their orders in just one business day. For non-VIP standard shipping times, Zappos offers a chart to give you an idea of how long it could take. You have 365 days to return an item.
Other Quilted Bags Like Vera Bradley
If you want the look of a Vera Bradley bag without spending tons of money, there are other brands to choose from. There are plenty of quilted bags that look similar to the Vera Bradley brand of bags, for a more affordable price.
- Donna Sharp offers quilted bags with the same colorful look as higher end brands, for a great price. The Donna Sharp Becki crossbody bag is the perfect size for carrying all of your essentials. It has an adjustable strap with multiple exterior pockets. This bag comes in thirteen color and print combinations, so everyone will find something they'll love. Prices differ based on print, but all styles are under $50. Shipping is free on orders over $75, and all Donna Sharp orders are shipped out within 24 hours of the order being placed. You can return any purchase within 30 days from the receiving date and get a full refund.
- Harriet Carter also has bags comparable to Vera Bradley. The Quilted Handbag Set (less than $15) comes with a purse and matching cosmetic bag. The purple and brown paisley print is very similar to Vera Bradley prints. Regular shipping is free, and should have your order delivered within 7 to 10 business days. You have 30 days from the time you receive your bag to return it. You must fill out a return/exchange form.
- Even Walmart has quilted handbags exhibiting similar qualities to Vera Bradley handbags. The Stone Mountain Navy Blue Paisley Tote Handbag (under $20) is made of cotton. The tote features multiple interior interior slip pockets, including a zippered pocket, zipper closure, exterior pockets, and double handles.
- DSW has a Steve Madden Floral Weekender Bag (under $60) perfect for a mini getaway. This bag can also be used as a fashionable carry-on. This spacious bag comes in a black and pink floral pattern. It has lots of storage and comes with a removable shoulder strap, so you can carry it in various ways. Standard shipping is free, and your bag will be delivered in 4-7 business days.
Simply Bags has a number of quilted bags that can be personalized with a machine embroidered name or monogram. The bags come in a variety of styles and fabrics and pricing is affordable (usually less than $40). Bags can be ordered through the company's website. Shipping costs start at $6.99 and will usually take one to five days for your order to arrive if you live in the United States (eastern states receive their orders more quickly). Returns are allowed unless it's a monogrammed item, but you will only have about 10 days from the date you receive your order.
A few individual bloggers who have reviewed Simply Bags, like Sew Woodsy. Sew Woodsy found the quality to be great. She loves the durability of the bag, and the zipper closure. Heck Of a Bunch noted the totes were "roomy".
A few examples of their quilted bags include:
- The Shoulder Tote Bag with Monogram (just over $25) is a paisley pink and chocolate option with a zipper closure.
- The Quilted Floral Cotton Tote (around $30) is a brightly colored option that features orange, yellow, brown, and blue. It features a removable bow, outside zip pocket, inside zip pocket, and blue lining.
- The Monogram Damask Print Travel Tote (just over $30) is a combination of turquoise, pink, and white, plus navy blue trim. It includes a detachable bow.
If you're in the market for something a little quirky, Henrietta's Handbags may have just what you're looking for. The prices are reasonable too. Choose from patterns featuring cats, birds, horses, and more. Shipping costs can be calculated on the site based on your zip code, and orders are sent via USPS. It usually takes two to three days for customers in the United States to receive their packages, while international delivery times will vary. You'll have seven days from the time you receive your handbag to decide whether you'd like to keep it, however items must be unused.
Pros and Cons of the Bags
When it comes to Henrietta's Handbags, the price is definitely right. However, even though the bags might look similar to higher-end quilted bags, the quality will be different. Most Henrietta's Handbags feature zippered pockets, but not all of them have a zip-closure feature for the main pocket of the bags. Some have a magnetic snap, or a drawstring instead.
- The Paisley Quilted Crossbody Bag in Pink and Tan (less than $30) has an adjustable shoulder strap. It is fully quilted with shades of pink, green, brown, tan, and gold with a front border in pink. There is a secure top zipper and 2 additional pockets inside.
- The Quilted Paisley Medium Zippered Backpack (under $25) will keep your hands and arms free while you're out and about. Wear it as a backpack or a sling. It combines a large paisley print with a red and black bow and has plenty of pockets to keep your belongings organized. The top closes with a zipper, plus there's an external pocket with a zipper closure. In addition, the style has open side pockets, an open pocket inside for a cell phone, and one more internal zipper pocket.
- The Quilted Cat Bag with Bow (under $20) features quilted cat fabric with a matching decorative bow. The handbag has double handles and secure top zipper. It also has an additional zippered pocket and a cell phone pocket inside.
You can find quilted handbags, accessories, tote bags, specialty bags, and more when you shop Stephanie Dawn. The bags are more expensive than some options, but less expensive overall (but sometimes similar in price) than the average Vera Bradley. There is a store locator on the website if you'd like to shop in person, but you can also shop online. The products are made in and shipped from Ohio, and packages typically take one to seven business days (depending on where you live) via Fedex.
Reviews are scarce, but the few listed on Amazon are almost perfect. Reviewers at Amazon found the bags to be sturdy and well-structured.
Styles to Consider
Purchase one of these popular styles:
- The Shoulder Bag, just under $60, also has a surprising number of patterns and colors to choose from. You get four interior pockets, three exterior pockets, and a zip closure. The strap is also adjustable.
- The Tag-A-Long Small Purse (about $40) comes in several patterns and a few solid shades. It's perfect for those situations where you only need a few essential items but can't keep them in your pockets. It has five pockets (two inside and three outside) and an adjustable strap.
- The Cargo Crossbody Bag runs about $80 and comes with a wide variety of patterns and color schemes. It features four slip-in pockets, a zippered closure at the top, and three external pockets.
Making Your Own
If you are a quilter or a crafter, then you also have the option to make your own purse. You just need quilted fabric, a sewing machine, lining fabric, thread, and a few other tools and embellishments to make a truly custom handbag for yourself or a friend. Once you've cut the fabric, the basic idea behind creating the bag is to sew the sides and bottom with the lining on the outside, then flip it right side out. Add straps and anything else you'd like, and you're done!
Plenty of Choices
There are a number of options for quilted purses from duffle bags to small clutch designs. No matter what your price range or style choice, it's easy to find the perfect colorful (or more muted) quilted handbag.