Since the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) first appeared in a comic book back in 1984, the characters have appeared on everything from lunch boxes to shirts to backpacks. If your child loves turtles, a backpack with TMNT may be the easiest to find in stores and online. However, there are a few other options for turtle-inspired backpacks, including making your own turtle inspired fashions.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Backpacks
Turtle shell backpacks look like the shell of a turtle and sit on the back of the wearer. TMNT backpacks can be found in some national retail chains like Target. TMNT shell-shaped backpacks are also available at Hot Topic stores, both the brick and mortar stores and their online shopping site. Of course, there are several online sources for these backpacks as well. Here are a few styles modeled after the TMNT characters.
- Michelangelo Shell Backpack: This backpack is modeled after the TMNT character Michelangelo. It is made of green vinyl for easy cleaning and features wide straps to prevent strain on the back.
- Leonardo Shell Backpack: This backpack is also made of green vinyl and measures the same size. However, it features a hood at the top of the backpack that pulls up over the head. The hood gives the wearer a distinctive turtle look. The hood could also do double duty as rain protection on dreary days.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enjoyed extreme popularity in the 1980s, waned a bit in the 90s, but have recently made a comeback in popularity. You can also find backpacks featuring the four TMNT characters: Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael and Donatello.
If your child doesn't care for the ninja turtles, or you simply want something less commercial, there are a few other options on the market. The following backpacks feature turtle shell designs that your child might appreciate:
- My Pillow Pets Turtle Shell Backpack: This backpack is perfect for younger kids. It provides a cuddly pillow shell to rest on during travel, comfortable straps and a zippered compartment to carry a few items. The majority of the backpack is a shell, but you'll also find a little turtle head and legs on this cute backpack.
- Sea Turtle Backpack: Fiesta Toys created this adorable backpack that is a stuffed sea turtle/backpack combination. The turtle's wide flippers serve as padded backpack straps for the shoulders.
- Mario Brothers Koopa Shell Backpack: This plush backpack is small, but perfect to carry just a few essential items or as a backpack for a young child. Has a main zippered compartment and adjustable shoulder straps.
Make Your Own Turtle Shell Backpack
If none of the backpacks listed quite meet your needs, another option is to make your own backpack. Follow the steps below to create a backpack featuring turtle shells:
- Purchase a solid black backpack of any size and style of your choice. The backpack should be fabric.
- Use green puffy paint (available at most craft supply stores) to create small turtle shell shaped mounds on the backpack. You can add as few or as many as you'd like. You could also paint on one giant shell.
- Following the directions on the bottle of puffy paint, use an iron or hair dryer to puff the paint up.
- Use a permanent black marker and create a turtle shell pattern on the mounds of green paint.
If you are mechanically inclined or a master seamstress, you might gain inspiration from ideas like designer Davidi Galid's Meiosis backpack that resembles the shell of a turtle. Whether you decide to create a backpack of your own or buy one of the backpacks already on the market, the fun and whimsy of a turtle shell design will capture attention wherever you go. These designs are perfect for back to school backpacks or day trips around town.